- Lymph node ratio (LNR), extrathyroidal extension (ETE), and positive LN number are associated with recurrence in patients with clinically node-negative (cN0), pathologic N1a (pN1a) papillary thyroid cancer (PTC).
Why this matters
- Risk factors for recurrence have not been well studied in this patient subgroup.
- 5.7% of patients experienced recurrence.
- LNR >5 (HR, 4.794; P<.001 gross ete and>3 positive LNs (HR, 2.505; P<.001 were associated with recurrence in multivariate analysis.>
- 5.8% of patients experienced transient hypoparathyroidism; 3.4% experienced permanent hypoparathyroidism.
- 3.0% of patients experienced transient recurrent laryngeal nerve injury; 0.9% experienced permanent recurrent laryngeal nerve injury.
- 1082 patients with cN0 PTC who underwent total thyroidectomy plus bilateral central neck dissection and were verified pN1a were included.
- Funding: Chonnam National University Hospital Biomedical Research Institute.
- Retrospective study.
- Influence of radioactive iodine therapy not analyzed.