- Breastfeeding exclusively does not seem to prevent eczema, but it might protect against the development of chronic eczema.
Why this matters
- Evidence for a preventive effect of breastfeeding against eczema is mixed.
- This study suggests protection against chronicity, but not prevention.
- Prevalence of ever-eczema: 20.33%.
- At age 6 years with previous diagnosis: 58.58%.
- Children who breastfed exclusively for >3 months had lower odds of still having eczema at age 6 years: aOR, 0.477 (95% CI, 0.259-0.878; P=.017).
- Children who breastfed ≤3 months or did not breastfeed did not have an association.
- Data from Infant Feeding Practices Study II, 6-year follow-up (n=1520).
- Not peer-reviewed.