- Patients with acne vulgaris are at increased risk for depression and anxiety, according to a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Why this matters
- This is the first quantitative review on the association between acne vulgaris and depression/anxiety.
- Acne vulgaris was associated with both depression and anxiety (P<.00001 for both>
- The link to depression was stronger in adults vs adolescents (P=.016), as was the link to anxiety (P=.041).
- 42 studies were included in the meta-analysis (1,029,299 participants from 35 studies in the depression analysis; 21,634 participants from 24 studies in the anxiety analysis).
- Funding: None.
- Heterogeneity between included studies.