Arson attack on MSF Ebola centre in Democratic Republic of the Congo


  • Mary Corcoran
  • Univadis Medical News
Access to the full content of this site is available only to registered healthcare professionals. Access to the full content of this site is available only to registered healthcare professionals.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has condemned an arson attack on an Ebola clinic in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), with WHO Director General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus saying such attacks could undo the progress made in the Ebola response. 

The attack happened at an Ebola centre run by Médecins Sans Frontière in the Katwa area on Sunday night (February 24, 2019) forcing staff and patients to be evacuated from the facility. 

It comes amid concerns that the Ebola response is at risk of slowdown with Dr Tedros calling on donors to continue funding the response to the outbreak or risk backsliding. 

“The situation is unprecedented: there has never been an Ebola outbreak in these conditions, with such a highly mobile population and with many gaps in the health system. The security context is another major concern,” said Dr Tedros. 

“We have made major gains. Hundreds of deaths have been averted, maybe even thousands. But the outbreak is not over, and we urgently need additional funding to see it through,” he added. 

The WHO says funding of US $148 million is needed for all partners involved in the response to continue their work; however so far, under US $10 million has been pledged.

Please confirm your acceptance

To gain full access to GPnotebook please confirm:

By submitting here you confirm that you have accepted Terms of Use and Privacy Policy of GPnotebook.

Submit