- Compared with normal newborn hypoglycemia cutoffs, a lower glucose treatment threshold in asymptomatic moderate cases yields noninferior outcomes at age 18 months.
Why this matters
- Consensus is lacking on the right balance between treatment threshold and the threshold to avoid overtreatment.
- Developmental scores (Bayley-III-NL) at age 18 months were similar for children in the low-threshold (
- Cognitive mean scores: 102.9±0.7 for low vs 102.2±0.7 for traditional threshold.
- Motor outcome scores: 104.6±0.7 for low vs 104.9±0.7 for traditional threshold.
- Multicenter, randomized, noninferiority trial, 689 healthy newborns (35+ weeks of gestation) at risk for hypoglycemia.
- Funding: Netherlands Organization for Health Research and Development.
- 15.5% loss to follow-up.