- Atopic dermatitis (AD) is associated with increased risk for coeliac disease, according to a large, cross-sectional study.
Why this matters
- This study suggests that patients with AD should be screened for gastrointestinal morbidities.
- Patients with AD had higher prevalence of coeliac disease compared with control patients (0.6% vs 0.4%; P<.001 style="list-style-type:circle;">
- In subgroup analysis, this association was also significant for adult patients (0.6% vs 0.3%; P<.001 and adult patients with moderate to severe ad vs p=".001).</li">
- 116,816 patients with AD (45,157 adults, 1909 adults with moderate to severe disease) were compared with matched control subjects and analysed for prevalence of coeliac disease.
- Funding: None.
- Observational study of large database.