- Adding chemotherapy to first-line pembrolizumab offered better objective response rate (ORR) and PFS than pembrolizumab alone in patients with advanced NSCLC and a programmed cell death-ligand 1 (PD-L1) tumor proportion score (TPS) of ≥50%.
Why this matters
- Pembrolizumab monotherapy is the preferred treatment for NSCLC with PD-L1 TPS ≥50%, but there are few data about the benefit of adding chemotherapy.
- Meta-analysis of 5 RCTs with 1289 patients with advanced NSCLC PD-L1 TPS ≥50%.
- Funding: National Key R&D Program of China; others.
- Pembrolizumab+chemotherapy offered better ORR (relative risk [RR], 2.16; P<.001 pfs p and os than chemotherapy alone in direct comparison analysis.>
- Pembrolizumab monotherapy offered better ORR (RR, 1.33; P=.002) and OS (HR, 0.67; P<.001 but not pfs than chemotherapy alone in direct comparison analysis.>
- In indirect comparison, pembrolizumab+chemotherapy had better ORR (RR, 1.62; P=.003) and PFS (HR, 0.55; P=.037) than pembrolizumab monotherapy.
- No data on head-to-head comparisons.