- The combination of 3 mg drospirenone (DRSP) and 20 μg ethinyl estradiol (EE) has favorable metabolic and hormonal effects in people with PCOS.
Why this matters
- DRSP has antimineralocorticoid and antiandrogenic activities.
- The prevalence of PCOS among reproductive-age women is 6%-10%.
- Improvements in metabolic and hormonal profile after 3 months of DRSP/EE tablets:
- Decreased BMI (P<.001 waist-hip ratio>
- Decreased testosterone (P<.001>
- Increased high-density lipoprotein-cholesterol (P<.001>
- Decreased ovarian volume (P<.05>
- Single-center, prospective, observational study.
- Patients with PCOS were prescribed once daily DRSP/EE tablets (n=140).
- Anthropometric measurements, sex hormones, glucolipid metabolic index, ovarian volume, and adverse effects were recorded at baseline and after 3 months of treatment.
- Funding: Science and Technology Planning Project of Guangdong Province; Key Project of Guangdong Provincial Administration of Traditional Chinese Medicine; Guangzhou Municipal Science and Technology Innovation Council.
- Small sample size.
- Retrospective study.
- Single center, so results may not be generalizable.