- A new meta-analysis shows a significant link between constipation and urinary incontinence (UI) in women.
Why this matters
- Treating constipation may relieve symptoms of UI.
- Researchers analyzed 16 studies on the influence of constipation on UI in women (n=35,629; 6054 with UI).
- They used a random-effects model to calculate the pooled OR and a corresponding 95% CI.
- Funding: None disclosed.
- Researchers found a significant association between constipation and UI risk (OR, 2.46; 95% CI, 1.79-3.38) regardless of study design or sample size.
- Most studies in the analysis were observational and relied on self-reported symptoms of UI and constipation.