- Patients with early-stage NSCLC who undergo surgery have better OS than those treated with stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT), especially when regional lymph node examination (LNE) included >10 lymph nodes.
Why this matters
- Prior studies comparing survival between surgery and SBRT have yielded conflicting results.
- 104,709 patients with early-stage NSCLC from the National Cancer Database underwent SBRT (n=13,379) or surgery (n=91,330).
- Funding: None disclosed.
- All surgery types were associated with better OS compared with SBRT:
- Wedge resection: aHR, 0.67; P<.001.>
- Segmentectomy: aHR, 0.60; P<.001.>
- Lobectomy: aHR, 0.53; P<.001.>
- Pneumonectomy: aHR, 0.75; P<.001.>
- Possible selection bias.