Ebola spreads to third province in Democratic Republic of Congo


  • Mary Corcoran
  • Univadis Medical News
Access to the full content of this site is available only to registered healthcare professionals. Access to the full content of this site is available only to registered healthcare professionals.

The World Health Organization (WHO) says Ebola response teams are working on the ground in Mwenga in South Kivu, after the first cases of the virus were confirmed in the province. The virus was confirmed in a mother and her child on August 15. The mother has since died.

In a tweet, the WHO said response teams were ready to provide treatment, trace contacts and provide vaccinations. 

It comes as authorities continue efforts to control the outbreak. Latest data show 2,842 Ebola virus disease cases have been reported in the North Kivu and Ituri provinces since the outbreak began in the DRC last year. This includes 2,748 confirmed and 94 probable cases, of which 1,905 cases died. 

New infections also continue to be reported among personnel working in community health posts and other facilities, it said. According to the WHO, in the 21 days up to August 15, 11 new cases were reported among health workers. Cumulatively, 151 health workers have been infected to date.

Meanwhile, the WHO says no new confirmed cases have been reported in Goma city. A mother and her child who were being treated for the virus at an Ebola treatment centre in the city were discharged last week. 

Please confirm your acceptance

To gain full access to GPnotebook please confirm:

By submitting here you confirm that you have accepted Terms of Use and Privacy Policy of GPnotebook.

Submit