- The European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) has published an e-Update of its practice guidelines for treating hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), pancreatic, soft tissue, and gastric cancers.
Why this matters
- New treatment recommendations reflect newly published findings.
- HCC update (recommendations here ; algorithm here ) addresses recently approved lenvatinib and cabozantinib and specific uses as frontline therapy in advanced HCC and third-line in patients with progression, respectively.
- Pancreatic (recommendations here ): mFOLFIRINOX listed as a first adjuvant option after resection in selected patients; with frailty, gemcitabine alone.
- Soft tissue, visceral sarcomas (recommendations here ; algorithm here ): removal of olaratumab from the options for new patients is recommended.
- Gastric cancer (recommendations here ): perioperative use of FLOT (5-fluorouracil/leucovorin, oxaliplatin, docetaxel) is recommended as standard of care; evidence is lacking for any biologically targeted drug.
- Update also covers prostate cancer.