- A population-based study from Taiwan suggests that hypothyroidism is independently associated with all-cause mortality risk in patients ≥65 years old.
Why this matters
- This study of >2000 patients adds to the evidence of a link between hypothyroidism and mortality risk.
- Hypothyroidism was associated with increased risk for all-cause mortality in multivariate analysis (HR, 1.82; P<.001 style="list-style-type:circle;">
- This result remained consistent in propensity score matching analysis (HR, 1.80; P<.001>
- 2029 patients with hypothyroidism aged ≥65 years and 20,290 matched control patients from the National Health Insurance Research Database of Taiwan were analyzed for risk for all-cause mortality and associated factors.
- Funding: None.
- Retrospective analysis of database information.