- In people without diabetes mellitus (DM) or cardiovascular disease (CVD), a low fasting blood glucose (
Why this matters
- Results of this meta-analysis of prospective studies suggest the need for heightened vigilance and preventive measures in patients with low values.
- Compared with normal fasting blood glucose, fasting values
- All-cause mortality: 1.56 (1.09-2.23),
- Total stroke: 1.08 (1.03-1.13),
- Ischemic stroke: 1.06 (1.01-1.10), and
- Major cardiovascular events: 1.05 (1.03-1.07).
- No increased risk for hemorrhagic stroke.
- Fasting blood glucose
- Study heterogeneity was high: I2, 67%-77%.
- Systematic review, meta-analysis of 11 articles covering 129 prospective studies that included 2,674,882 people without diabetes or CVD (mean age, 48 years; 32% women; average follow-up, 14.3 [range, 1-20] years).
- Funding: Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan.
- Reasons for low blood glucose not known.
- Variable definitions of low fasting blood glucose among studies.