- 12 hours of postpartum intravenous magnesium sulfate is as safe as 24 hours of magnesium sulfate.
Why this matters
- Preeclampsia affects 8% of pregnancies worldwide.
- The minimum effective amount of intravenous dosing will help reduce cost and minimise monitoring.
- No incidence of seizures during the study.
- No differences in maternal or foetal outcome or number of days of maternal admission between groups.
- Cost analysis was not performed.
- Study outcomes included seizures, adverse maternal effects, neonatal survival, and admission to the ICU.
- Funding: None disclosed.
- Single-site study.
- Small numbers in the study.