- Sinusitis after intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) is associated with recurrence in patients with nonmetastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC).
Why this matters
- Accurate prognostic markers are needed for patients treated with IMRT.
- For the entire cohort, 3-year OS, DFS, local failure-free survival (LFFS), and distant failure-free survival (DFFS) rates were 91.4%, 80.3%, 90.6%, and 87.5%, respectively.
- Sinusitis was associated with reduced OS (84.4% vs 97.4%; P=.008), DFS (66.5% vs 92.1%; P<.001 lffs vs and dffs compared with lack of sinusitis in univariate analysis: style="list-style-type:circle;">
- HR, 3.734 (P=.001) for DFS in multivariate analysis.
- HR, 8.944 (P=.004) for LFFS in multivariate analysis.
- HR, 2.951 (P=.015) for DFFS in multivariate analysis.
- 230 patients with nonmetastatic NPC who received IMRT were analyzed for outcomes.
- Funding: Ministry of Health and Welfare, Taiwan, Republic of China; Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital.
- Retrospective study.