The number of deaths linked to the NHS listeria outbreak has risen to five, after another patient died last week.
On June 7, Public Health England (PHE) announced that an investigation was underway into six cases of listeriosis which had been traced back to pre-packed sandwiches sold in NHS hospitals. At that point, three deaths had been linked to the outbreak and the remaining three patients were said to be in a serious condition. It has now emerged that another patient died last week.
Furthermore, a retrospective examination of listeria cases from the past two months has identified an additional three cases linked to this outbreak, one of whom had already died. This brings the total number of confirmed cases to nine and the total number of deaths to five.
Dr Colin Sullivan, Chief Operating Officer at the Food Standards Agency (FSA) said: “Our sympathies remain with the families of the patients who have tragically passed away. We have taken action along with local authorities to minimise the risk based on the evidence so far. The FSA will continue to investigate the cause of the outbreak to prevent a reoccurrence.”
To date, all cases have occurred in hospitals in England. No cases have been identified in Scotland or Wales, and there have been no associated cases identified outside healthcare organisations. As of 7 June 2019, deaths had occurred at Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust and Aintree University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.