- Supplementation of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (OPFAω-3) may increase prophylactic effects of amitriptyline in patients with migraine.
Why this matters
- For patients who are not getting full benefits from amitriptyline, supplementation with OPFAω-3 may help.
- Nine patients dropped out because of adverse effects from amitriptyline.
- Patients who took OPFAω-3 saw an 80.0% reduction in the number of headache days in 66.7% of patients, whereas 33.3% of placebo patients saw the same level reduction (P=.036).
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of 60 patients treated with amitriptyline prophylaxis.
- Patients were split into 2 groups with the addition of OPFAω-3 or a placebo and followed for 60 d.
- Funding: No specific funding.
- Small sample size, relatively short follow-up.