- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) reduces erectile dysfunction (ED) but does not affect serum testosterone levels.
Why this matters
- HBOT may be a good alternative or supportive treatment for patients with ED.
- Researchers studied patients with ED who underwent 30 sessions of HBOT (n=43; mean age, 59.9±11.4 years), comparing pre- and posttreatment International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF) scores, serum total testosterone (TT), and free testosterone (FT).
- Funding: None disclosed.
- Patients had significantly higher posttreatment IIEF scores (mean score, 25.4±5.3 vs 20.6±5.1; P<.001>
- Patients had no statistically significant differences in pre- and posttreatment serum TT (4.0±2.3 vs 4.1±2.0 ng/mL; P=.797) or FT (8.6±3.8 vs 8.9±3.5 pg/mL; P=.658).
- The study was single-center with a small sample size and no control group.