- This meta-analysis suggests an associated increased risk for cardiovascular mortality and stroke in people with comorbid depression and type 2 diabetes (T2D).
Why this matters
- Findings provide further insight into the increased risk for cardiovascular outcomes in people with T2D and depression.
- Meta-analysis of 9 studies involving 346,037 patients with T2D and depression and 614,574 patients with diabetes only (mean age, 60.4 years; mean follow-up duration, 8.3 years).
- Funding: None.
- Patients with depression and T2D vs those with T2D alone showed significant association with:
- cardiovascular mortality (HR, 1.48; 95% CI, 1.185-1.845; I2=43.4%; P=.001),
- coronary heart disease (HR, 1.37; 95% CI, 1.165-1.605; I2=15%; P<.001 and>
- stroke (HR, 1.33; 95% CI, 1.291-1.369; I2=84.7%; P<.001>
- Heterogeneity among included studies.