- Medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA) plus metformin is efficacious for treating patients for atypical endometrial hyperplasia (AEH) or endometrial cancer (EC), particularly those with BMI ≥25 kg/m2.
Why this matters
- MPA plus metformin may offer an alternative to progestin alone as a fertility-sparing AEH and EC treatment, based on a high response rate, low recurrence rate, and good fertility outcomes
- Researchers analyzed the health records of patients with EC or AEH treated with MPA 400 mg plus metformin 750-2250 mg per day (N=63; median age, 35 [range, 26-44] years; BMI ≥25 kg/m², 76%; insulin resistant, 68%).
- Funding: None disclosed.
- Overall complete response (CR) rate was 97% within 18 months.
- Relapse occurred during follow-up in 13.1% of patients who achieved CR.
- Overall relapse-free survival (RFS) at 5 years was 84.8%.
- Patients with BMI ≥25 kg/m² had significantly better prognoses (OR, 0.19; P=.009).
- Overall pregnancy and live birth rates were 61% and 45%, respectively.
- Retrospective, monocentric design.