- Secukinumab (Cosentyx) provides rapid pain relief that is sustained over 2 years in patients with psoriatic arthritis.
Why this matters
- Improvement occurs regardless of past response to anti-TNF therapy.
- Extension study of randomized, placebo-controlled FUTURE-2 trial, 298 patients with ≥3 tender and ≥3 swollen joints randomly assigned to 300 mg secukinumab, 150 mg secukinumab, or placebo until week 16, when the placebo group was randomly assigned again to 300 or 150 mg until week 104.
- Funding: Novartis Pharma AG.
- Secukinumab gave greater pain relief by visual analog scale than placebo by week 3:
- −16.9 points; P<.0001 with mg dose>
- −12.6 points; P<.05 with mg dose.>
- Effect sustained through week 104.
- 27.6% of 300-mg group were responders (≥20% improvement from baseline in tender or swollen joints), and
- 15.6% of 150-mg group were responders.
- Lack of active comparator from week 16.
- Post hoc analysis.