- Bortezomib (Velcade) + cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan) + rituximab (Rituxan, BCR) is a new, efficacious, and well-tolerated salvage regimen for the treatment relapsed/refractory mantle cell lymphoma (R/R MCL).
Why this matters
- Relapsed/refractory (R/R) MCL has poor prognosis and is associated with multiple genetic drivers necessitating therapeutic targeting of multiple pathways.
- Phase 2 study to investigate the safety and efficacy of combination BCR in 21 patients with R/R MCL; median age: 66 y.
- Funding: Millennium: The Takeda Oncology Company.
- Median of 3 cycles received in 19 patients; among these, 74% achieved response and 42% achieved complete response.
- 9 mo median PFS.
- 36.4 mo median OS.
- Grade 3-4 nonhematologic AEs occurred in 1% of cycles; 25% of cycles resulted in grade 3-4 neutropenia, or thrombocytopenia.
- 6 grade 1 cases of sensory neuropathy and 1 grade 2 case.
- Limited sample size.
- Single-arm study.
- Lack of neuropathy may be explained by low number of treatment cycles.