- A bacterium implicated in periodontal disease, Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans, also may initiate rheumatoid arthritis (RA) via hypercitrullination in host neutrophils.
- The mechanisms linking periodontal disease to RA are an area of strong research interest with significant clinical implications.
- Serum from 196 patients with RA who were assessed for disease activity and severity at baseline and at follow-up visit with the last average more than 3 y after baseline.
- Sera were also obtained from 109 patients with chronic periodontitis and 100 healthy control patients without periodontitis, with mass spectrometry to identify microbial make-up and antigens in fluid collected from the space between the gingival mucosa and tooth.
- Levels of Porphyromonas gingivalis, Tannerella forsythia, Treponema denticola, Fusobacterium nucleatum ssp, Prevotella intermedia, and A actinomyc...