- Use of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs) for chemotherapy-induced anemia (CIA) decreased between 2002 and 2010.
- Per-patient dosing of darbepoetin (Aranesp), but not epoetin (Mircera), increased between 2003 and 2010.
- Monthly per-patient costs decreased 3% for epoetin and increased 30% for darbepoetin.
Why this matters
- In 2004, 2007, and 2008, US FDA committees warned of risks of ESAs for CIA.
- In 2015, the manufacturer of darbepoetin paid a litigation settlement of $72 million relating to allegations of marketing darbepoetin at doses greater than those approved by the FDA.
- The are the first data on epoetin vs darbepoetin use for CIA.
- Study evaluated 3689 patients with CIA.
- Funding: American Cancer Society.
- 35% patients had at lea...