- Delaying radioactive iodine (RAI) therapy after total thyroidectomy (TT) up to 180 days did not affect recurrence or mortality outcomes of patients with intermediate- to high-risk papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC), according to a retrospective study.
Why this matters
- The association between RAI timing and outcomes is unclear.
- Patients who received RAI
- Delayed RAI was not significantly associated with worse DFS (HR, 1.3; P=.061) or OS (HR, 1.5; P=.388) compared with early RAI.
- 720 patients with PTC who received RAI after TT, 360 at
- Funding: None.
- Retrospective study.
- Longer RAI delays were not analyzed.