The Welsh Government recently published the National Survey for Wales 2019-2020 on adult lifestyle. The report highlights health-related lifestyles and behaviours of adults (aged >16 years) residing in Wales. The findings are based on interviews completed between 1 April 2019 and 16 March 2020.
Key findings from the report are as follows:
- Eighteen per cent of adults reported being current smokers.
- Nineteen per cent of adults reported alcohol consumption in excess of the weekly guidelines (average weekly consumption >14 units).
- Twenty-five per cent of adults reported eating at least five portions of fruit or vegetables the previous day.
- Fifty-three per cent of adults said they had been active for a minimum of 150 minutes in the week before.
- Sixty-one per cent of adults were either overweight or obese, including 25 per cent who were obese.
- Ten per cent of adults were following fewer than two of the five healthy behaviours.
- Lifestyle behaviours between 2016-2017 and 2019-2020 did not vary substantially.