- A nationwide cohort study from Israel suggests that chronic urticaria (CU) is associated with an increased risk for osteoporosis.
Why this matters
- Findings suggest that early screening is warranted.
- Incidence of osteoporosis was 12.26 per 1000 person-years in patients with CU and 9.31 per 1000 person-years in control patients.
- CU was associated with increased risk for osteoporosis (HR, 1.225; P<.001>
- Age (HR, 1.067; P<.001 corticosteroid use smoking and hypothyroidism were also associated with increased osteoporosis risk whereas male sex obesity decreased risk.>
- In a subgroup analysis of patients without exposure to systemic corticosteroids, CU was associated with increased risk for osteoporosis (HR, 1.44; P<.001>
- 11,944 patients with CU and 59,829 control patients from the Clalit Health Services database were analyzed for osteoporosis incidence.
- Funding: None.
- Observational study of large database.