- High levothyroxine dose at discontinuation is associated with permanent hypothyroidism in infants with congenital hypothyroidism.
Why this matters
- Risk factors for permanent hypothyroidism are poorly understood in this patient population.
- 11.3% of patients experienced permanent hypothyroidism (failure following levothyroxine discontinuation).
- 88.8% of patients experienced transient hypothyroidism (successfully discontinued levothyroxine).
- Higher levothyroxine dose at discontinuation was associated with increased risk of permanent hypothyroidism (OR, 3.443; P=.009).
- A levothyroxine dose of 2.86 μg/kg had 88.9% sensitivity, 71.0% specificity, and area under the receiver operating characteristic curve of 0.849 for predicting treatment failure.
- 80 infants with congenital hypothyroidism were included.
- Funding: None.
- Retrospective study.