Following several weeks of decline, there has been an increase in the weekly number of Ebola cases reported in the North Kivu and Ituri provinces in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
Latest figures from the World Health Organization (WHO) show that as of March 19, 980 cases had been reported in the DRC. Overall, 610 deaths have been reported.
Ebola was also confirmed in an infant who died in the Bunia region last week. This is the first confirmed case from this region; a previous case was identified from neighbouring Rwampara in early February.
The WHO said it is continuing to closely monitor the situation and said its latest assessment concluded that the national and regional risk levels remain very high, while the global risk levels remain low.
It warned however that the security issues, the high proportion of community deaths reported among confirmed cases, persistent delays in detection and isolation in Ebola treatment centres and challenges in the timely reporting and response to probable cases were all collectively increasing the likelihood of further chains of transmission in affected communities and increased risk of geographical spread within the DRC and to neighbouring countries.