The Welsh Government has published a '5 Year Vision for the Future' pertaining to maternity care in Wales.
The vision is designed to ensure that “Pregnancy and childbirth are a safe and positive experience, and parents are supported to give their child the best start in life.” The primary goal is to deliver family-centred care with the help of multi-professional teams within Health Boards reflecting a culture of research and development, continuous learning, best practice and innovation.
The five principles of maternity care outlined in the report are as follows:
- Personalised care for women, collaboratively developed with them and representing their choices and health needs.
- Safe and effective care, with reduced risk, intervention and variation wherever possible.
- Continuity of carer during the entire maternity journey.
- Care from multi-professional teams, with access to specialist services.
- Highest-quality and sustainable maternity services.
Vaughan Gething, The Welsh Minister for Health and Social Services, said: "Focussing our resources to improve maternity services is essential to support the healthy and happy families and communities of the future."