- Adding hepatic arterial infusion chemotherapy (HAIC) to sorafenib nearly doubled OS in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) with portal vein invasion.
Why this matters
- Prognosis remains poor with frontline sorafenib; add-on HAIC had previously shown benefit in a phase 2 study.
- Open-label, phase 3 randomized trial (n=247) of patients receiving frontline sorafenib with or without oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and leucovorin (FOLFOX) HAIC.
- Funding: Nonindustry sources.
- Compared with sorafenib alone, adding FOLFOX significantly improved:
- Response rate (40.8% vs 2.46%; P<.001>
- Median OS in the combination group (13.37 vs 7.13 months; HR, 0.35; P<.001>
- Median PFS (7.03 vs 2.6 months; HR, 0.33; P<.001>
- Median intrahepatic PFS (8.07 vs 3.1 months; HR, 0.28; P<.001>
- OS, based on RECIST criteria (40.8% vs 2.46%; P<.001>
- Chinese population.