- High-risk (HR) HPV may be associated with an increased risk for female infertility.
Why this matters
- Infertility affects 8%-12% reproductive-aged couples worldwide.
- The prevalence of secondary infertility varies with geographic location; the highest rates are in South Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Central and Eastern Europe, and Central Asia.
- People with HR-HPV may also have other sexually transmitted infections that contribute to secondary infertility.
- People with infertility should be screened for HPV.
- Immunization against HPV should be implemented.
- No association between all types of HPV and female infertility (7 studies; P=.06).
- HR-HPV associated with increased risk for female infertility (6 studies; OR, 2.33; P=.0008); however, HPV was not an independent risk factor.
- Systematic search and meta-analysis (11 studies included in meta-analysis).
- Funding: Chengdu Science and Technology Huimin Technology Research and Development Project.
- Limitations based on the limitations of original studies.
- Heterogeneity between studies.