- A systematic review and meta-analysis suggests that atopic dermatitis (AD) is associated with depression, anxiety, and suicidal ideation.
Why this matters
- Meta-analysis supports prior evidence of link between AD and psychiatric problems and suggests that patients should be screened for symptoms.
- AD in adults was associated with depression (OR, 2.19; 95% CI, 1.87-2.57) and anxiety (OR, 2.19; 95% CI, 1.75-2.73).
- AD in children was associated with depression (OR, 1.27; 95% CI, 1.12-1.45).
- AD in adults and adolescents was associated with suicidal ideation (OR, 4.32; 95% CI, 1.93-9.66).
- 60 studies were subjected to meta-analysis to determine associations between AD and anxiety, depression, suicidal ideation, and completed suicide.
- Funding: Lundbeck Foundation; Herlev and Gentofte Hospital.
- Various definitions of depression and anxiety used in studies.
- Few studies analyzed AD severity.