- Mycosis fungoides (MF) is associated with increased risk for second primary hematologic and solid malignancies, according to analysis of the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) database.
Why this matters
- These study results suggest a need for increased screening for second primary malignancies in patients with MF.
- 7.5% of patients were diagnosed with a second malignancy.
- Patients with MF were at increased risk for second cancer events (standardized incidence ratio [SIR], 10.15; 95% CI, 9.29-11.07; P<.05 style="list-style-type:circle;">
- SIR, 39.71 (95% CI, 34.05-46.05; P<.05 for hematologic malignancies.>
- SIR, 7.33 (95% CI, 6.56-8.17; P<.05 for solid tumor malignancies.>
- 6742 patients with MF from the SEER database were included.
- Funding: American Society of Hematology; NIH.
- Retrospective study of large database.