- The American Thyroid Association (ATA) has released updated guidelines on the diagnosis and treatment of hyperthyroidism and other causes of thyrotoxicosis, including 124 evidence-based recommendations on the basis of an extensive literature review.
- A task force of experts from North America, South America, and Europe reviewed published research on the diagnosis and treatment of thyrotoxicosis.
- Funding: Study funded by ATA
What’s new in the guidelines
- A revised list of the most common causes of thyrotoxicosis.
- Evaluation of the etiology of the disease.
- Management of Graves’ disease using antithyroid drugs.
- Management of hyperthyroidism during pregnancy.
- How to prepare patients for thyroid surgery.
- Expanded sections on rare causes of the disease.
Additional topics covered
- Initial diagnosis and management.
- The use of radioactive iodine,...