NHS England’s staff are working on the brink of safety, as growing patient numbers outweigh staff employment rates.
In the ‘Better Future for the NHS Workforce’ report by NHS Providers, staff shortages were classified as the primary concern within the NHS.
The pressure on health services and workers were also attributed to growing demand for healthcare services, poor staff retention rates and insufficient funding. In order to close the workforce gap, the report identified several key actions to undertake, including:
- retaining and recruiting EU and overseas staff
- opening up opportunities for staff in the UK through an increase in healthcare training places
- providing national-level support to aid the efficient delivery of health services
- addressing the growing work pressure on staff and improving their experiences
- effective communication of NHS workforce strategy, planning and policy within the government.