The World Health Organization (WHO) is investigating allegations of misconduct within the organisation.
In a statement issued on Thursday (January 17), the organisation said, it was aware of a news story published about allegations of misconduct within the organisation. It said, its Director-General, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has referred the allegations to the WHO’s Office of Internal Oversight Services and an investigation has been launched.
Although the statement did not detail the allegations, it noted that they were anonymous, had been circulating internally and had been addressed by Tedros in meetings with staff where “he stressed that WHO has zero tolerance for misconduct or discrimination of any kind."
The statement said since Dr. Tedros took office, “he has championed openness, transparency and diversity. WHO’s senior management team is now one of the most diverse and gender-balanced of any United Nations agency. All regions of the world are represented and almost two-thirds are women. WHO is working consistently to increase geographical diversity and improve gender balance at all levels as part of its ongoing transformation process.”
The WHO stressed it had established a number of means by which individuals could report concerns about suspected misconduct by personnel, including an independently-run integrity hotline.