- Yoga with breathing and mental relaxation exercises serves as an independent treatment for hypertension, according to the results of this meta-analysis.
- 3 sessions a week yield 11 and 6 mmHg reductions in systolic and diastolic BP, respectively.
Why this matters
- Yoga might represent an accessible lifestyle modification for reducing BP.
- BP reductions with yoga vs no yoga (weight mean effect side; 95% CIs):
- Systolic: −0.47 (95% CI, −0.62 to −0.32); −5.0 mmHg reduction.
- Diastolic: −0.47 (95% CI, −0.61 to −0.32); −3.9 mmHg reduction.
- Both P<.001 vs controls yoga>
- Moderate methodological study quality; high bias risk for many.
- Results from 49 controlled trials included; range, 10-238 participants.
- Funding: NIH, others.
- High bias risk, heterogeneity, some evidence of publication bias.